In 1837 begins the history of the Gran Teatro del Liceo, when it stood at the former convent of Montsió (now Portal de l'Àngel) to enhance music education and a place to premiere the works of students. In 1847 was when it moved to the Rambla dels Caputxins, right next to the Hostal Mare Nostrum, when the city awarded the purchase of the building of the convent of the Trinitarians.
It was funded entirely by private shareholders, that is why theater is the only opera that has no real stage as Queen Elizabeth II declined to participate. Those who supported financially the construction of the theater won a lifetime seat in the theater. It is this social stratum that the anarchist movement saw as representing the ruling oligarchy of the moment which led to the events of November 7, 1893 when James Orsini Salvador dropped two bombs to the stalls causing twenty dead.
Liceu has burned twice in its history. The first time was on April 9, 1861 because of an oil light. In that fire was only the stone structure remained. The second time was in 1994 due to a torch that ignited the curtain and left the Teatro del Liceo practically destroyed. The Lyceum's golden age was during the twenties, during the heyday of the textile business was completely renovated and programmed the best shows around the world, since the public had also become more demanding.
During the Civil War was nationalized and renamed the Teatre del Liceu - Teatre Nacional de Catalunya and is now publicly owned and supported by the Generalitat de Catalunya, the City Hall of Barcelona, Barcelona Provincial Council and the Ministry of Culture and managed by Gran Teatre del Liceu Foundation.
Times of departure
- Guided tour: 10.00 am, daily (1 hour 10 min)
- Unguided tour: 11.30 am, 12.00 midday, 12.30 pm and 1 pm, daily (20 minutes)Prices - Guided tour 8,8 € - Unguided tour 4,10 €